School of Doc
Applications for the 2019 Summer School of Doc program are now closed. Students will be notified of acceptance by early June 2019.
2019 School of Doc Key Dates:
June 20 – Open House
June 24 – Week 1
July 1 – Week 2 (no camp July 4)
July 8 – Week 3
July 15 – Week 4
July 23 – Final Presentation
About School of Doc
Thanks to School of Doc and Full Frame, I now have a clear idea of what I want to spend my life doing.
– Destini Riley, Full Frame Alum (2016) and School of Doc Student (2015)
Full Frame’s School of Doc is a free, five-week intensive filmmaking summer program that is open to all Durham Public Schools high school students.
The School of Doc, launched in 2011, is a completely free program (including meals) serving Durham teens who participate in the five-week intensive summer course taught by professional filmmakers. The program is held in Full Frame’s theater and classroom space, where students work as a crew to produce a professional documentary film. Coursework includes all technical elements of the craft: camera, lights, sound, editing, and special effects, as well as pre- and post-production considerations such as rights and clearances, graphics and credits. Each School of Doc student spends time working in each of these areas.
Students build self-esteem as they work as a team, choose their own subject (often a local not-for-profit organization), and create a final film. Students also discover the link between documentary filmmaking skills and real-world job skills. Throughout the program, students visit local job sites where these tools are applied, such as ABC11, Trailblazer Studios, and the Durham Bulls television studio. At the end of the five weeks, the students present their final film to more than 100 excited audience members in the Full Frame Theater. The event is free and open to the public.
The following April, students attend the festival free of charge, visit with professional filmmakers, and present their work to the public as part of the festival’s free programming. Their filmmaker instructors supervise the students throughout the four-day event.
For questions, please contact Full Frame at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Watch School of Doc Videos on Vimeo
School of Doc News
- Congratulations to our Fall 2018 School of Doc After School students for presenting their final project, Carolina Lightnin’: Bluegrass in the Triangle, below. Watch all of the School of Doc films on Vimeo. Enjoy!
- Read about the students’ day with visiting filmmaker and 2018 Grand Jury award winner RaMell Ross.
- NEWS: Full Frame receives FilmCraft grant for School of Doc from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for third consecutive year!
- Full Frame’s School of Doc is featured on Indiewire!
- The 2017 School of Doc film, Know Wonder: The Museum of Life and Science, had its World Premiere on Tuesday, July 18, 2017, in the Full Frame Theater at the American Tobacco Campus.
- To see the other 2017 School of Doc students’ films, please visit our vimeo page.
- Watch a behind the scenes video about School of Doc by 2017 intern Antoinique White.
School of Doc Hall of Fame
Not only did School of Doc teach me how to make documentaries, it also taught me how to appreciate them.
– Marie Cox-McMahon, School of Doc student (2017) and intern (2018)
Support School of Doc
Make a tax-deductible donation today!
The School of Doc is generously supported by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, The Baskerville Fund at the Triangle Community Foundation, Durham 150, the Fenhagen Family and Helen’s Fund, IBM, and the Mary Duke Biddle Foundation.Support School of Doc